Book: As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires by Bruce Weber
About: Weber spends a year in the world of baseball umpires, attending umpire school (less than one-percent of umpire school students get to work in the major leagues,) umping games (including 3 innings behind home plate of a major league spring training intrasquad game) and conducting dozens of interviews.
Some Interesting Things I Learned:
- There are 13 reasons an umpire can eject someone from the game
- The rulebook has no guidelines for a check swing.
- As the rulebook defines it, if the ball and a runner's foot arrive on the base at the same time, tie goes to the defense.
- The "K-Zone" and other TV network strike zone representations are "for entertainment purposes only" and should not be used to accurately judge balls and strikes.
- Umpires get four weeks of vacation during the MLB season.
Cons: A tad bit long. Lots of people discussed at it can get confusing. Index would have been nice