Sunday, January 10, 2010

Book review: The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande




Book: The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande

About: Gawande sets out to create a checklist for surgeons to use that would cut down on surgical errors.  He draws on piloting an airplane, building construction and cooking as fascinating examples of where checklists are used with great success.

Pros: Quick, very interesting, well written.

Cons: Cites sources by page number, I would've preferred in-text cites.

Grade: A-

2 comments:

Jo Ann said...

I've just put this on my amazon.com wishlist. Have you read his two recent articles on health care reform in the NYT (I believe)? He has an interesting, uncomplicated view point. Looking forward to the book, and applying the principles to my job in health care.

Charlie said...

I'll have to check those articles out, Thanks Jo Ann!

eXTReMe Tracker